[cfe-dev] Cryptic error: "exception specification is not available until end of class definition"

Richtarsky, Martin martin.richtarsky at sap.com
Tue Dec 30 06:26:50 PST 2014

Hi,

with clang trunk I'm getting an error here:

$ cat except-spec.cpp
////
class Thread
{
public:
    virtual ~Thread();
};

class NetworkProfilerThread : public Thread
{
public:
    //virtual ~NetworkProfilerThread();  // makes it work
    //~NetworkProfilerThread();          // makes it work
    struct OutputFileName
    {
        virtual ~OutputFileName() throw() { };

    } m_OutputConfig;
};
////

except-spec.cpp:17:7: error: exception specification is not available until end of class definition
    } m_OutputConfig;
      ^
1 error generated.

Uncommenting one of the "makes it work" lines and thus declaring the destructor gets rid of the error. I don't know enough about the standard to say whether this is expected, but at least the error is quite cryptic and cost me some experimenting to find out the problem.

Opinions?

Best regards,
Martin