[cfe-dev] Is ModuleBuilder useful to anyone?

Yaron Keren yaron.keren at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 06:12:05 PST 2014

I am trying to eliminate the consumer of consumer pattern we have where
BackendConsumer is mostly a thin layer around a ModuleBuilder it creates
for itself. Most of the additional functionality being in
HandleTranslationUnit calling EmitBackendOutput to create bc, ll or object
files. Most the input aguments of BackendConsumer are needed for
CreateLLVMCodeGen only.

EmitBackendOutput already supports a "Backend_EmitNothing" action. If we
merge BackendConsumer functionality into ModuleBuilder and
eliminate BackendConsumer , I think that every existing ModuleBuilder could
continue using "new" ModuleBuilder with Action = Backend_EmitNothing and OS
= nullptr just the same.

Mark, would that work for you?