[cfe-dev] Tool for easy test seam injection in legacy C code

mobi phil mobi at mobiphil.com
Sun Dec 21 06:55:15 PST 2014

> I've seen some suggestions against changing the clang AST, because it's
> supposed to be immutable and is hard.
>
> As "outsider" I think it is a clear need for injecting stuff into the AST.
Maybe one should collect all the projected use cases into one place to
evaluate the effort. From the point of view of AST visitors and matchers
(as also stated in this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqCkCDFLSsc)
I understand that the AST should be immutable, but what about allowing such
AST injection after building the AST but before any ast matching, visiting,
rewriting phase. Re-running semantic analysis after such injection would be
obviously a must.
Of course one should be careful on what he/she is doing and not to mix such
an injection phase with ast matching.