[cfe-dev] Report on Recent Outages

John Criswell jtcriswel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 13:45:49 PST 2014

Dear All,

Some community members have contacted me directly regarding recent
outages of the LLVM services.  While I'm no longer a University of
Illinois employee, old habits die hard, so I asked around. :)

First, a storage array at UIUC developed issues over the weekend. The
UIUC IT people were on it, but the first fix did not appear to work as
expected, causing performance degradation for systems using the storage
array.  I believe the mailing list server is one such system, explaining
why the mailing lists didn't work yesterday.

There will be more work on the storage array between midnight and 8 am
Central time tonight; it is possible that the LLVM/Clang mailing lists
will be down or experiencing degraded performance during that time.

Second, a router in the UIUC CS department failed today, preventing
access to the LLVM server (which hosts SVN, web, and other services).
This failure was independent of the storage array failure.  To the best
of my knowledge, that is fixed and running again.

On behalf of my alma mater and former employer, I apologize for the
inconvenience.  However, their IT people are aware of the problems and
are working on it.  With luck, everything will be fixed and running
smooth by 8 am Central time tomorrow.

On a final note, if you need to contact me directly, please use my gmail
address.  My illinois.edu address is forwarding mail for now, but
apparently it won't do so forever.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

-- John T.

--