[cfe-dev] Open sourcing a batch of checkers

Gábor Horváth xazax.hun at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 04:50:18 PST 2014

Hello everyone,

I am an intern at a company where we developed several checkers based on
the clang infrastructure. We have about 30 checkers that are either C++
core language or STL related. We would like to contribute some of these
checkers (together with the documentation and the test cases). The ones
that are well tested and have good false positive rates.

Most of the checkers were originally developed find certain design rule
violations. One example of a design rule at this company is: „The emptiness
of a container should be checked using the empty method instead of the size
method. It is not guaranteed that size is a constant-time function, and it
is generally more efficient and also shows clearer intent to use empty.
Furthermore some containers may implement the empty method but not
implement the size method. Using empty whenever possible makes it easier to
switch to another container in the future.” We realized that, maybe such
checkers could be useful for the clang community as well.

Our tool right now is a clang plugin that runs custom frontend actions on
the analyzed source code. The reason is that, some of the checkers are only
consist of ASTMatchers, some of them using RecursiveASTVisitors, some of
them are clang Static Analyzer checkers. We are wondering what would be the
desired way to contribute those checkers back. Should we focus on migrating
them to clang-tidy? Should we focus on transforming them to Static Analyzer
checkers?

Thanks,

Gábor Horváth