[cfe-dev] short Object* object = new Object(); //pointer compression

Csaba Raduly rcsaba at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 00:41:35 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com> wrote:

> This sounds possibly like __ptr32, which we already have some minor
> amount of support for, with the extra benefit of at least one other
> vendor implementing such an extension.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa985900.aspx

Based on what the MSDN page says:

" __ptr32 represents a native pointer on a 32-bit system, while
__ptr64 represents a native pointer on a 64-bit system."
"On a 32-bit system, a pointer declared with __ptr64 is truncated to a
32-bit pointer. On a 64-bit system, a pointer declared with __ptr32 is
coerced to a 64-bit pointer."

I don't think that's what the original poster needed (32-bit offset in
a 64bit segment).

Csaba