[cfe-dev] libclang locking files for write/delete on windows

Ivan Koster ivankoster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 13:13:08 PST 2014

Hello,

I was requested in https://github.com/Valloric/ycmd/issues/61 to post about
a file locking problem on windows. In that thread the suspicion was raised
that libclang.dll locks header files for writing or delete.

I am writing a plugin that uses YCMD, which uses libclang to provide
autocomplete and goto definition among other services.

To be completely honest, libclang and ycmd are a black box for me and I
have no idea on their internals, how libclang.dll and YCMD interact or how
to start debugging this.
In the above link you can find a .c and .h file that for me consistently
lock the files on windows 7 64bit. Only very few header files of my
projects get locked, and they all use a code construct as in the above
provided .c and .h file. From my experimenting, the header file also seems
to must be above a certain size for the lock to occur.

I'm hoping the above is sufficient to pin down the problem.
If more information is need I'm happy to help.

Greetings,

Ivan