[cfe-dev] Dynamic linked (.so) files for clang?

Thu Dec 4 03:35:06 PST 2014

hi Dave,

for curiosity, if libclang*, libllvm* (the currently static artifacts) will
be dynamic library, how would you solve these problems:

- install different versions of clang on the same machine? (developers do
that)
- install a tool which is linked against an older version of libclang*?
(tool developers might be/are in delay)

i know it is possible to do all of these with dynamic libraries. but i fear
that it is less effort to use static libraries for clang developers and for
tool developers. (playing with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or rpath is less preferred
over static libraries.) so maybe a compiler is good exception from this
packaging guideline rule. maybe creating a child package for compiler
developers (containing the static libraries and the corresponding header
files) could make it already more ecstatic. what do you think?

regards,
Laszlo