[cfe-dev] ARM contributing to libc++ & libc++abi

Arnaud A. de Grandmaison arnaud.degrandmaison at arm.com
Mon Dec 1 05:30:24 PST 2014

We (ARM) intend to contribute to libc++ and libc++abi.

However, in order to do that, we would first need to add a 'NOTICE.TXT' file
at the root of each of these projects which would contain:

===================

Patent agreement notice to LLVM users in accordance with Paragraph 2 of LLVM

Developer Policy, Patents subsection:

Presently, ARM is unaware of any patents that would read on its LLVM

contributions. Nonetheless, to avoid doubt with respect to patent rights,

ARM hereby grants recipients of the software distributed by LLVM a
perpetual,

worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable patent
license

to make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer

software distributed by LLVM, where such license applies only to those
patent

claims licensable by ARM that are necessarily infringed by ARM's
contributions.

This patent license applies in addition to the University of Illinois/NCSA
Open

Source License.

Please direct all inquiries regarding this agreement to:

  General Counsel, ARM Ltd.,110 Fulbourn Rd., Cambridge, CB1 9NJ, GB UK

This does not change any licensing terms; it essentially helps limit any
patent claims on ARM that may arise from our contributions, just to those
which may be explicitly infringed by ARM's contributions.

Do you think this proposal is acceptable ?

Cheers,

--

Arnaud A. de Grandmaison