[cfe-dev] -Wunused-variable for user-defined types

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 16:28:21 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Eugene Toder <eltoder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I find clang's unused variable warning very useful to keep the code from
> accumulating garbage over time. For built-in types it works great, but I've
> noticed that for user-defined types it often misses unused variables. The
> current logic for user-defined types is to warn on unused variable if 1)
> the type has a trivial destructor 2) the constructor is either elided or
> trivial, or the type is marked with warn_unused attribute [1].
> Does anyone object to extending 2) to allow constexpr constructors? The
> reasoning is that constexpr constructors are not supposed to have any
> side-effects.

Not quite true, unfortunately - a constexpr function (or constructor) /can/
be used in constexpr contexts but only has to have no side effects for the
/particular/ codepaths that are called from constexpr contexts.

eg:

constexpr int func(bool b) { if (b) printf("stuff") return 3; }

constexpr int x = func(false);
const int y = func(true);

is valid code, as I understand it. But we might be able to check the
particular caller, to see if it's constexpr - but that could have
performance implications.

> What about a check that constructor does not have side-effects, even if
> it's not marked as constexpr? This can start by using the same code as the
> one for constexpr checking. Is this the right thing in the compiler, or
> should this go into clang-tidy?

Might be a bit too much to do.

The aggresive way to do this would be to assume all types are "Value" types
and warn on all unused variables. Then add an attribute to annotate types
that have side effects (and even specifically types with scoped side
effects - such as MutexLock, so you could warn on "MutexLock(n);" but not
warn on "MutexLock(n), func();")