[cfe-dev] State of persistent refactoring server (clangd?), or refactoring tools in general

Austin Bingham austin.bingham at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 00:08:05 PDT 2014

Hi all,

In looking for C++ refactoring tools recently I came across some slides by
Manuel Klimek from 2012 about "clangd", a persistent refactoring server
based on clang. It was in the "design phase" back then, but I can't find
any references to it since. Does anyone know what happened with this
project?

More generally, what is the state of clang-based refactoring tools? I see
that there are things like clang-rename and clang-modernize; are these the
state of the art, or are they more like how-to examples? If they are just
examples, where can I find the real action?

I have experience writing refactoring servers in the spirit of clangd for
Python, and I'd love to see something like that for C++. So, is something
like this available or in the works? I probably have some time that I could
devote to such a project; I'm new to llvm/clang, but I'm an old hand at C++
and emacs so I could probably be useful.

Austin