[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] [RFC] Raising LLVM minimum required MSVC version to 2013 for trunk

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Aug 22 12:18:06 PDT 2014

DeadMG <wolfeinstein at gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> Seeing the feature list seems compelling, but MSVC's actual support is
> often still below the standard you can find in GCC or Clang, even in
> officially supported features. There's a price to be paid not just in terms
> of breaking users who are still VS2012-dependent, but also in terms of
> debugging VS2013-only bugs.
>
> Personally, I think that it's worth upping the minimum requirement whenever
> you're not breaking a substantial portion of your userbase. All I'm saying
> is, the experience of many of us using VS2013 is that that feature list is
> a little ... optimistic. Upgrading on that basis alone may well yield
> undesirable results.

I second this. My experience with VS is that new features are usually
broken if you go beyond the simple cases. And the roadmaps have little
credibility, based on a continuous flow of disappointments since...
forever.

Right now I'm on the process of switching to MinGW-w64. VS 2013 was a
no-no on terms of modern C++.

[snip]