[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] [RFC] Raising LLVM minimum required MSVC version to 2013 for trunk

Daniel Dilts diltsman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 10:09:02 PDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Chris Bieneman <beanz at apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2014, at 9:53 AM, Daniel Dilts <diltsman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Chris Bieneman <beanz at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Starting a new thread to loop in cfe-dev and lldb-dev. For those not
>> following along there has been a thread on llvm-dev about moving the
>> minimum required Visual Studio version to 2013. The motivating reason is
>> this will allow us to take advantage of a bunch of C++11 features that are
>> not supported by MSVC 2012.
>>

> Is there an existing policy on how supported compiler versions are
> selected?
>

> There was a discussion last year (
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2013-October/066847.html) WRT
> allowing LLVM to use C++11 features which established a precedent of
> supporting compilers released back for two years, with a special caveat for
> Windows.
>
> -Chris
>

>From the link:
*we support building with the **most recent 2 versions of VS available at
the *prior* release. For example** when we branch for 3.4, the two versions
will be 2012 and 2013. Those two** would be supported on mainline from then
through 3.5, and when we branch** for 3.5 we would re-evaluate. *

If that is followed exactly support for VS2012 would not be able to be
dropped.  However, it is rather easy to get the latest VC++ compiler from
Microsoft at no cost (Express edition anybody?), so I don't have any real
concern with dropping support for VS2012.