[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Instrumenting the run-time sizes of SmallVector et al.

Hans Wennborg hans at chromium.org
Mon Aug 11 10:53:39 PDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any chance of performance data as well? After finding a few bugs in
> SmallVector I am rather curious how much perf SmallVector is giving us
> & whether it's worth the upkeep/bugs. (it probably is - so it's more
> something I've been meaning to play with in my spare time as I doubt
> it'll be fruitful, so I don't expect others to work on it either
> unless it sounds particularly appealing)

I haven't done any performance measurements, and to be honest I don't
expect much impact. This was more about me being curious, and the
general principle of not having inline sizes that are always or almost
always too small.

The instances that I fixed typically had a couple of thousand uses
each during the entire Clang bootstrap, so I estimate that I've
removed maybe on the order of 100k mallocs during a bootstrap - which
is nice, but probably not a measurable perf gain overall.

If we had containers with the wrong size that were really hot, they
would probably have showed up in profiles and been fixed before.

 - Hans