[cfe-dev] How to make clang compile the data from the RewriteBuffer

Bogdan Tabacaru bogdan.tabacaru88 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 07:48:01 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I want to create a plugin that makes some changes on the parsed AST and that directly compiles the changes made on the AST. It is important that I do not generate a new file with the changes on the AST.
So, in other words, I want to change the AST in place, and then compile it in the same run, using a Clang Plugin.

I am using llvm 3.4.2.

By following the RecursiveASTVisitor example, I have written a clang plugin which modifies the parsed AST.

I am using the Rewriter class to ReplaceText inside the buffer.

I am also using the -add-plugin command (instead the "standard" -plugin command) when calling the plugin.

The rewriting part works excellently. However, when I continue the compilation, clang only compiles the original file, instead of the original file + changes.
Is there a way to tell clang/llvm to compile what I have written in the AST (using the Rewriter) without creating an intermediate file?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Bogdan