[cfe-dev] Inlining temporary destructors in the analyzer

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Thu Aug 7 09:57:41 PDT 2014

On Aug 6, 2014, at 12:51 , Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I think you're looking for CallEvent::getInitialStackFrameContents (and its overrides).
>
> I'd be concerned about modeling more constructors/destructors than actually exist at runtime—the constructor may have observable side effects. According to the standard, construction and destruction properly happens on the caller side. So the "best" way to deal with this might be to have the parameter regions somehow alias the temporary regions...or maybe for all class-typed parameters to be passed by reference.
>
> Yep, I assumed the idea to fix that would be to look at where we copy the region (currently without invoking the constructor) and instead creating an alias.
>
> Anyway, really I think we should just continue not inlining these particular destructors at the moment, which is conservative and probably not a dealbreaker.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "not inlining these particular destructors". Because if we inline temporary destructors, we will inline these destructors. I also think inlining is benign from the call site point of view, because all that currently seems to happen is that we inline the destructor "as if" we didn't inline the function to which the object was passed as by-value argument, or am I missing something here?
>
> In addition, after having looked at the standard, it seems to me like the standard does not require the temporary to be constructed in the slot for the by-value argument, but it can also copy-construct the by-value argument:
> 12.2-2:
> """
> class X {
> public:
> X(int);
> X(const X&);
> X& operator=(const X&);
> ~X();
> };
> class Y {
> public:
> Y(int);
> Y(Y&&);
> ~Y();
> };
> X f(X);
> Y g(Y);
> void h() {
> X a(1);
> X b = f(X(2));
> Y c = g(Y(3));
> a = f(a);
> }
> An implementation might use a temporary in which to construct X(2) before passing it to f() using X’s copy
> constructor;
> """
>
> Thus, it seems to me like in the example the author of the code must deal correctly with the destructor being called on the unchanged object anyway.

That isn't the problem. It's the copy-constructed object that then ends up unchanged.

struct X {
	void **ptr;
	X() { static void *global; ptr = &global; }
	~X() { *ptr = nullptr; }
}
void nullOut(X x) {
	x.ptr = nullptr;
	//
}
void test() {
	X local;
	nullOut(local); // pass-by-value param constructed and destroyed here
	// 'local' destroyed here.
}

In this example, there is always one copy-construction (for the value passed to 'nullOut') and one temporary destructor (for the same). However, we should see a null pointer dereference here (because we can inline 'nullOut', and that modifies the parameter region) but we don't (because the parameter region isn't actually the region that gets destroyed).

> Anyway, really I think we should just continue not inlining these particular destructors at the moment, which is conservative and probably not a dealbreaker.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "not inlining these particular destructors". Because if we inline temporary destructors, we will inline these destructors. I also think inlining is benign from the call site point of view, because all that currently seems to happen is that we inline the destructor "as if" we didn't inline the function to which the object was passed as by-value argument, or am I missing something here?

Anything we do or don't inline is up to us; we can have a new rule that says we don't inline dtors of temporaries copy-constructed only for use as parameters. (We've had plenty of rules like this along the way, and still have some: we don't inline constructors for 'new' expressions, we don't do array *tors properly, and we ban particular methods in the STL that do more harm than good.)

Jordan