[cfe-dev] Obj-C type encoding for bool larger than expected

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 11:17:47 PDT 2014

David,

I think you're slightly mistaken - or Clang isn't exactly doing what you say. I've been investigating a bit more; this is where clang encodes the argframe size:

> CharUnits PtrSize = getTypeSizeInChars(VoidPtrTy);
>
> // The first two arguments (self and _cmd) are pointers; account for
> // their size.
>
> CharUnits ParmOffset = 2 * PtrSize;
>
> for (ObjCMethodDecl::param_const_iterator PI = Decl->param_begin(),
>      E = Decl->sel_param_end(); PI != E; ++PI) {
>   QualType PType = (*PI)->getType();
>   CharUnits sz = getObjCEncodingTypeSize(PType);
>   if (sz.isZero())
>     continue;
>
>   assert (sz.isPositive() &&
>       "getObjCEncodingForMethodDecl - Incomplete param type");
>   ParmOffset += sz;
> }
> S += charUnitsToString(ParmOffset);
> S += "@0:";
> S += charUnitsToString(PtrSize);

As you can see, there is no consideration for argframe alignments. As I noted before:

> // 7-byte struct
>
> struct MyStruct {
> 	uint32_t a;
> 	uint16_t b;
> 	uint8_t c;
> } __attribute__((packed));
>
> - (void)doSomething: (struct MyStruct)arg;

is encoded by Clang as v23 at 0:8{MyStruct=ISC}16.

23 is a prime number, so clearly there’s no alignment rounding going on. There’s nothing in the source to indicate that it’s dependent on my target (Intel 64-bit), either.

So having ruled out alignment padding, my next port of call was getObjCEncodingTypeSize(); that’s clearly where we must be getting a 4-byte size for a bool:

> CharUnits ASTContext::getObjCEncodingTypeSize(QualType type) const {
>   if (!type->isIncompleteArrayType() && type->isIncompleteType())
>     return CharUnits::Zero();
>
>   CharUnits sz = getTypeSizeInChars(type);
>
>   // Make all integer and enum types at least as large as an int
>   if (sz.isPositive() && type->isIntegralOrEnumerationType())
>     sz = std::max(sz, getTypeSizeInChars(IntTy));
>   // Treat arrays as pointers, since that's how they're passed in.
>   else if (type->isArrayType())
>     sz = getTypeSizeInChars(VoidPtrTy);
>   return sz;
> }

So my first thought was that bool was being treated as an integer type and its size was getting expanded to the size of an int. After some digging (I’ve never worked with the Clang source before), I found this in Type.h:

> inline bool Type::isIntegralOrEnumerationType() const {
>   if (const BuiltinType *BT = dyn_cast<BuiltinType>(CanonicalType))
>     return BT->getKind() >= BuiltinType::Bool &&
>            BT->getKind() <= BuiltinType::Int128;
>
>   // Check for a complete enum type; incomplete enum types are not properly an
>   // enumeration type in the sense required here.
>   if (const EnumType *ET = dyn_cast<EnumType>(CanonicalType))
>     return IsEnumDeclComplete(ET->getDecl());
>
>   return false;
> }

So, it appears that bool is being treated as an integer type, and hence will be expanded to the size of an int (i.e. 4 bytes on 32-bit/ILP64/LLP64 targets) when encoded. That explains the odd size of bool.

Now, my inclination is that this is a bug in clang, or some kind of legacy thing which isn’t documented. Apple’s Foundation framework has a function NSGetSizeAndAlignment which returns the size of a type encoding, and it reckons that an encoded bool should take 1 byte. So:

- (void)doSomething: (BOOL)arg;

should be encoded as v17 at 0:8B16.

Is this a bug? Should Clang really be treating bools as ints?

Karl