[cfe-dev] Adding more HTML-related facilities in Doxygen comment parsing

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 08:40:50 PDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 4:36 PM, David Chisnall
<David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2014, at 15:14, Dmitri Gribenko <gribozavr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Parsing Doxygen is inherently intertwined with HTML parsing and
>> semantic analysis.  Doing filtering at the same level does not look
>> out of scope and mislayered.
>
> I agree with Alp that this looks like a case of poor layering.  I only use Markdown within my doxygen comments, and so I can easily imagine a use for a tool that extracts doc comments but does not handle HTML.  Similarly, I don't think it would make sense to have libclang embed a Markdown parser.

David,

HTML is a part of Doxygen.  If we are not doing it, then we are
implementing our own documentation language that no other person in
the world cares about.  This is as if someone said, "I don't use
partial specialization of templates in C++, so Clang should not be
implementing it."

Dmitri