[cfe-dev] Issues with building libcxxabi (and libcxx) on Linux

Derrick Johnson derrick.johnson at mac.com
Tue Apr 8 00:59:02 PDT 2014

I’m trying to create a non-gcc toolchain (i.e., no libstdc++ or gcc involved).  I began here: http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html

I successfully built Clang with these steps.  Next up is libcxx, so I went here: http://libcxx.llvm.org

It seems that if I want to build a non-gcc toolchain, I should follow the directions listed here:
"Build on Linux using CMake and libc++abi.

You will need to keep the source tree of libc++abi available on your build machine and your copy of the libc++abi shared library must be placed where your linker will find it."

OK, so I went to the libcxxabi page here: http://libcxxabi.llvm.org

I see no instructions how to build libcxxabi… There does seem to be a “buildit” inside of libcxxabi/lib, but what envvars / parameters should I feed it?  For example, do I need to set the triple?

Again, I have already built Clang 3.5 successfully using GCC, so I’m wondering also if I need to build libcxxabi and/or libcxx using Clang or GCC?

My platform:
uname -a
Linux ubuntu 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:31:23 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks!