[cfe-dev] .bss section in elf file

TheMask lol.themask at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 18:09:58 PDT 2014

Yes, it does. But I still have a couple of questions, do you care to answer?
I do know it doesn't have room in file itself only count bytes it must have
at memory. What I'm trying to understand is where start and end the area of
this. 1) How does it differ if I'm working with a static executable and
using /SHT_NOBITS /i.e, a section not a segment? in this case, I'm
understanding the difference between a section and a segment what I
understood so far a section is required at link-time to make the executable
with the segments whose information come from the sections, it it right? 2)
by the "room" of a section (in memory): Is it the end of .data + .bss
section/segment address to count of bytes I've set in sh_size ?3) Also, can
I play with static executables, say, use .rodata/.data/.bss/.text sections
before I make it dynamic? ie. is there something I couldn't do by using
static but dynamic can do(except use a dynamic library, of couse) ? and I'd
love if you have a good resource about ELF file format. I want to understand
these stuff before try to put my hands on llvm source code.