[cfe-dev] Profiling with LLVM/Clang under OSX

fil fil at pobox.com
Thu Sep 26 23:05:46 PDT 2013

fil wrote
> I am having trouble finding a simple example of profiling with the LLVM
> toolchain - can anyone assist?
>
> - If I want to use llvm-prof, should I be using "-pg" or does that produce
> a non-llvm-prof compatible profiling code?
> - Should I be using "-emit-llvm" to
> - Can OSX be configured to execute bitcode files directly?
> - Is there a simple Makefile example for a profile build?
>
> I am using Xcode in external build configuration. If anyone knows how to
> use the static analyser/profiling in the native UI in this configuration -
> let me know :)

To answer my own question:

All the info on profiling with native LLVM tools seems a bit dated/thin
(clang++ -emit-llvm, opt, clang++ link, run ==> llvmprof.out, llvm-prof). I
actually settled on using the "Instruments" tool that comes with Xcode -
works pretty well, I just need to work out how to generate dSYM's from my
Makefile build so I can get links to source working.