[cfe-dev] A documentation tool based on clang AST.

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 22:27:40 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Juan Jose Lopez Villarejo
<jj.lopezvillarejo at cern.ch> wrote:
> Hello, and thanks for the reply, Dimitri.
>
> You give me half of a solution: as you point out, we would need to attach comments to statements.
>
> Is there any developper that would be willing to do such an extension as you propose:
> ASTContext::getRawCommentForStmtNoCache()
> getCommentForStmt()
>
> Alternatively, how feasible you see that we could implement such an extension (novel to clang, physicist) and that it be maintained?!

Quite a few other developers have asked the same question (if Clang
can attach comments to statements) during past year, but eventually
did not send patches.  Nevertheless, this shows that community is
interested in such functionality.

I would not call this hard to implement, but this is not a trivial
change either: you will need to learn at least about Clang's AST,
source location model (and how it interacts with the macros), lexer
and parser architecture.  In addition to implementing the feature, you
will also need to design a way to test these APIs *in clang tree*
(without your tool) and write the tests.

Dmitri