[cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Oct 31 10:55:09 PDT 2013

On 31 October 2013 10:14, Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com> wrote:

> However, I do
> say we need better build bot coverage for MSVC tracking than what we
> have today, so hopefully that is part of the discussion when talking
> about "supported" compiler versions.

That is a good point, and goes in both directions.

In one way, if we say we "support" compilerA, we should have a buildbot
running with it on the platforms we say we support it. But in the other
way, if we don't have such a buildbot, than we could even say we "don't
care", which is a bit harsh.

So, while I agree we should track all compilers, I think that the people
that are interested in keeping support for their preferred compilers should
be the ones adding the buildbots, or there would be less arguments for
keeping support for those compilers. Pretty much how it happens with
untested, unsupported features and back-ends.

cheers,
--renato