[cfe-dev] Fwd: clang++ vs g++ compilation speed for ace-tao servants

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 10:05:26 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Igor Vagulin <igor.vagulin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are evaluating switch to clang from gcc for our c++ application.
> Main focus is compilation speed, but we also look at address/memory
> sanitizer, c++11 support and c++ modules. I've tried to compile our
> project with clang++ but resulting compilation time is more than with
> gcc. Can someone give me a hint where might be a problem?
>
> Our project is bunch of ace-tao corba servants. Overall time with
> clang++ is about twice more than with gcc. To reproduce problem I
> preprocesssed one file and then compile it, result same - twice longer
> compilation. Don't know where to look further.

If you're lucky, someone might look for you if you attach (or link to, if
it's too big to attach) an example of the problem.

Otherwise, you might want to get started with a profiler and see where the
hot parts of Clang/LLVM are in your example.

(also, consider trying with Clang top of tree (straight from svn/git) - the
project moves fairly quickly)