[cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Thu Oct 31 00:15:43 PDT 2013

On Oct 30, 2013, at 11:46 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:

> So, I didn't take Chandler's words that literally, but even if you do, four previous releases means 2 whole years. Given current interest from Microsoft towards C++ compatibility in their compiler, and the capacity they have of getting things done (basically, money), I'd be surprised if they'd fall behind for that long.

The timeframe “2 whole years” might seem like a long time to us, but not everybody lives in the world where they adopt new toolsets so quickly.  That’s my concern about dropping VS 2010 support.  So this is both a question about how fast Visual Studio moves, but also the people who use Visual Studio.