[cfe-dev] Removing InitHeaderSearch

Stefan Teleman stefan.teleman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:49:04 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Edward Meewis
<ed at extraordinarymachine.nl> wrote:
> On 16/10/2013 00:40, Stefan Teleman wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Yaron Keren <yaron.keren at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> MingW does use InitHeaderSearch to populate the include directories.
>>
>> It is used by Solaris as well.
>>
> Solaris is pretty well defined. What would you lose if I removed it? Could
> we lift it to the ToolChain* files?

What is currently there for Solaris is not well defined at all, and is
actually a mess with hardcoded paths pointing to soon to be obsolete
GCC versions and complete lack of dynamic discovery of Solaris GCC
runtime and header files locations.

void InitHeaderSearch::AddGnuCPlusPlusIncludePaths();
void InitHeaderSearch::AddDefaultCIncludePaths();
void InitHeaderSearch::AddDefaultCPlusPlusIncludePaths();

These are useful and we use them in Solaris.

You could move them to ToolChain* but i'm not at all sure that this
won't result in every single ToolChain having to define its own
include path search, ending up duplicating code ...

I know InitHeaderSearch isn't pretty, but at least its mess is
localized - and given that it's acting like a swiss-army-knife for
many platforms, i'd expect it to be quite messy :-)

---
Stefan Teleman
KDE e.V.
stefan.teleman at gmail.com