[cfe-dev] Open work items with a small scope

Julian Lettner julian.lettner at uci.edu
Sun Oct 6 19:12:54 PDT 2013

Dear Clang/LLVM community!

We (a group of 3 highly motivated CS grad students) are taking a class
about compilers and optimizations.
This class offers the option of doing a implementation project (instead of
reading/writing x papers) for its main part.
Of course hacking is much more fun than ... ;)

So my question is do you know of any open points, compiler passes,
optimizations in the LLVM / Clang realm that are small enough for a student
group to be tackled in a quarter (~2 months)?
We acknowledge that compilers are very complex software and that it is very
hard to do anything meaningful in this timeframe.
So we would appreciate any guidance you can offer.
This could also mean doing work in a LLVM / Clang related project, as LLVM
/ Clang themselves are pretty mature projects and doing anything
substantial would probably take much longer.
The only requirement of the project would be that it is in the realm of
compilers and optimizations.

Some areas/ideas we are especially interested in:
Adaption of Clang to support OpenMP (http://clang-omp.github.io/), but
haven't been able to contact one of the developers yet.

Profile-guided optimization:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b2XFuOkR2K-Oao4u5fR3a9Ok83IB_W4EJWVmNak4GRE/pub

We are glad for any pointers, suggestions and other help.
Also feel free to answer me directly if you like.
-- Julian