[cfe-dev] Can we make libcxx headers more modular for faster compilation?

G M gmisocpp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 10:51:41 PDT 2013

Hi Yaron

I think there is a need to do some work on libcxx's modularity / layering,
but I wouldn't focus on doing it for speed purposes myself.

I think it needs a look at more for correctness and porting issues than
anything else.

I suspect (and I may be wrong) that you are basing some of your libcxx's
modularity thoughts on the Windows port?

The Windows port is still in a bit of a hacked state. libcxx on Apple/Linux
is not.

You might want check your modularity thoughts on apple/Linux to get
something more representative of the real libcxx? If you think there is
real modularity issues in the apple/Linux version I'd be more surprised.

I have been thinking about this problem and have some ideas to reduce and
refactor the windows include situation now I understand it a little better.
There's two or 3 places where we can improve the situation for Windows. But
again in my mind the emphasis is more on correctness and layering than
speed.

Once my outstanding patches are committed I'll fix some of this up.