[cfe-dev] Optionally suppress debug info for inlined calls?

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Mon Nov 25 20:53:29 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM, "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>wrote:
>
>> On 11/26/13 05:04 AM, Robinson, Paul wrote:
>>
>>> In fact the intrinsics, and to a significant extent some vector math
>>> libraries, do that. But, it's pretty tedious. We'd like our game teams to
>>> spend their time on more productive tasks than adding attribute(nodebug) to
>>> every method in every header. Plus we have an interest in continuing to
>>> support features that we have provided on previous platforms.
>>>

> Are these class methods?  Can we support slapping attribute(nodebug) on
> the whole class definition maybe?

That might alleviate things a bit.

One point of concern even for that is that these SIMD classes can be (and
are) in the headers of a (generally proprietary) library that you are using
(proprietary, but there's still dozens of KLOC of templates in headers that
you import into your project, besides the binary lib). In that case, the
user is suddenly in really uncomfortable territory of modifying external
headers, which I think is not something you want to tell users is "the
solution" (also, as just a user of those libraries, they likely don't
understand the logic behind their macros and how they are meant to be used
to be able to confidently know which ones to tweak to add various magic
attributes; or perhaps changing those headers might not even be allowed by
the agreement).

Ultimately Paul et al. are the ones that have the users knocking on their
door and have the clearest idea of what the use case looks like. I'm mostly
working from memory from code I've looked at.

-- Sean Silva