[cfe-dev] output metadata for extern declared functions?

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 18:48:23 PST 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Lewis Burns <lewisurn at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I've finally figured out where a function declaration is lazily emitted.
> It is done in the CodeGenModule::GetOrCreateLLVMFunction() function, which
> is in turned called by EmitCall functions. I wrote a function which is
> similar to the CGDebugInfo::EmitFunctionStart() function and hooked it into
> the GetOrCreateLLVMFunction function. It seems to work, since it passed all
> LLVM & Clang regression tests except two.
>
> I'm now having two other questions.
>
> (1) How to add a Clang command line option to control the call to my
> function? The hook-up point in my code is as follows:
>
> llvm::Constant *
> CodeGenModule::GetOrCreateLLVMFunction(StringRef MangledName,
>                                        llvm::Type *Ty,
>                                        GlobalDecl D, bool ForVTable,
>                                        llvm::AttributeSet ExtraAttrs) {
>   llvm::Function *F = llvm::Function::Create(FTy,
>
> llvm::Function::ExternalLinkage,
>                                              MangledName, &getModule());
>   if (ExtraAttrs.hasAttributes(llvm::AttributeSet::FunctionIndex)) {
>     llvm::AttrBuilder B(ExtraAttrs, llvm::AttributeSet::FunctionIndex);
>     F->addAttributes(llvm::AttributeSet::FunctionIndex,
>                      llvm::AttributeSet::get(VMContext,
>
> llvm::AttributeSet::FunctionIndex,
>                                              B));
>   }
>
>   // Emit subprogram debug descriptor for this new declaration
>   // if "-gg" is given like clang -gg, then call this function
>   EmitFunctionDeclaration(D, F);      -- hook up line
>
>   // This is the first use or definition of a mangled name.  If there is a
>   // deferred decl with this name, remember that we need to emit it at the
> end
>   // of the file.
>   llvm::StringMap<GlobalDecl>::iterator DDI =
> DeferredDecls.find(MangledName);
> }
>
> It seems to be very complicated to do this in Clang. I've spent hours and
> still couldn't solve it.

Have you looked at how other command line arguments are handled in Clang?

> (2) I've run LLVM&Clang regression tests on my code and there are two
> failures. One of them is debug-info-class.cpp (the other is
> debug-info-template-quals.cpp), and the failure message is:
>
> llvm-3.3.src/tools/clang/test/CodeGenCXX/debug-info-class.cpp:45:11:
> error: expected string not found in input
> // CHECK: DW_TAG_class_type ] [B]
>           ^
> <stdin>:230:75: note: scanning from here
> !49 = metadata !{i32 786445, metadata !1, metadata !46, metadata
> !"HdrSize", i32 17, i64 0, i64 0, i64 0, i32 4096, metadata !50, i32 52} ;
> [ DW_TAG_member ] [HdrSize] [line 17, size 0, align 0, offset 0] [static]
> [from ]
>                                                                           ^
> <stdin>:231:109: note: possible intended match here
> !50 = metadata !{i32 786470, null, null, metadata !"", i32 0, i64 0, i64
> 0, i64 0, i32 0, metadata !23} ; [ DW_TAG_const_type ] [line 0, size 0,
> align 0, offset 0] [from int]
>
> ^
> --
>
> However, the generated bitcode assembly does have DW_TAG_class_type ] [B].
> The related entry is:
>
> !31 = metadata !{i32 786434, metadata !1, null, metadata !"B", i32 11, i64
> 64, i64 64, i32 0, i32 0, null, metadata !32, i32 0, metadata !31, null} ;
> [ DW_TAG_class_type ] [B] [line 11, size 64, align 64, offset 0] [from ]
>
> I've attached the entire code to the letter. I'm wondering what is going,
> and how can I solve this?

FileCheck is order dependent. Your change probably caused the class type to
be emitted earlier, prior to some other aspect of the file that's being
checked (eg: the file might be "a b c" and the checks might be "a" and "c"
- but if your change caused things to change order to "c a b" then
FileCheck will be searching for "c" after "a" and not find it - the
FileCheck output should tell you where it's searching from so you can
confirm this hypothesis)

The checks may need to be generalized (using "CHECK-DAG" where the order
isn't dependent (read the FileCheck documentation for more details)) or
perhaps just changed if there's no good generalization.

- David