[cfe-dev] [RFC] Removing libclang APIs to traverse the comment AST

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Wed Nov 13 09:16:43 PST 2013

On 11/12/13 5:50 PM, Dmitri Gribenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to remove libclang APIs to traverse the comment AST.
> Instead, I would recommend to use clang_FullComment_getAsXML, which
> provides the same information, but does not expose implementation
> details of the comment AST.
I am not currently a user of the comment API, but I object to the
general direction you appear to be taking.  Maybe I've just been scarred
by too many bad experiences with trying to parse badly thought out XML
documents, but I'd *much* rather have a plain C API rather than an XML
only one.

Also, given that this is a public API which has been communicated to be
fairly stable, I'm concerned by the fact that you appear to be removing
large chunks.  Can you provide a concrete reason for wanting to remove
these APIs?  What actual change is it blocking?

p.s. Thanks for bringing these up on the llvmdev list rather than having
them get lost in llvm-commits traffic.

Yours,
Philip