[cfe-dev] "clang.org"

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Wed Nov 13 07:14:10 PST 2013

On 13/11/2013 06:45, Chris Lattner wrote:
> Right, it would make sense to keep clang.llvm.org
> <http://clang.llvm.org> as the compiler hackers kingdom.  There could
> be a prominent link from clang.org <http://clang.org> that points to it.
>

>>     I think it could be really great to have a user-centric landing
>>     page, and if we do that, making clang.org <http://clang.org/> be
>>     it would be truly great.
>>

>> Agreed. That sounds like a perfect use for the domain.
>
> What do you think Alp?  Does this make sense to you?  I think this
> aligns with (my understanding of) your intended purpose for the
> domain, and would be fantastic for the project.

Hello Chris,

I'd say this makes sense.

There's a strong case that opening up and having clang.org driven by the
LLVM community can only bring goodwill, boosting the profile of a
project we care about.

As Sean astutely observes, there's a whole world out there the LLVM
project has yet to reach out to. Not everyone's computing experience
begins and ends at the command prompt.

Whether it's installers, language bindings or GUIs, the effort to build
those is ultimately best coordinated on llvm.org, but I'm starting to
agree that clang.org could turn out as a very nice introductory resource.

That said, a new website is no silver bullet -- ultimately it's just a
small part of the work that needs to be done to make the compiler more
accessible to everyone. But the excitement both on and off list has
convinced me that a fresh-looking clang.org can be a catalyst for the
next step.

So I'm going to go with my gut feeling on this and say, let's make it
happen :-)

Alp.

--
http://www.nuanti.com