[cfe-dev] "clang.org"

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Mon Nov 11 23:56:49 PST 2013

Hi Chris,

Answering your questions in order..

This was always just a spot to upload clang-related patches, and
recently also a build of the installer. The build is aiming to resolve
some release blockers before 3.5 branches next week.

The frontpage on clang.org changed during the devmeeting to mark C++14
completion, adding balloons and linking back to the C++ status page on
clang.llvm.org but that's about it. All the links go back to llvm.org as
far as I'm aware.

I've already had mails from a tech journalist about a "clang fork", an
offer to buy the domain for the price of an apartment by an interested
organisation and somebody who wants to run a download site(?) there,
none of which sound too appealing to be honest and a huge distraction
from fixing the PRs at this point.

Perhaps it was the 500KB patch I posted earlier in the day gave people
the impression this was about a fork or something? If you took a minute
to look at my patch review / commit history / posts to the list you
could easily have counted that out.

Anyway, to answer the question I'm happy to have this used for official
LLVM  content, and that was somewhat the reason this was bought off
squatters when we first started to ship our clang-based product at
Nuanti as a service to the community. The previous owner's site with
porn ads was a serious branding problem for us.

As you can probably see from the front page, I'm not the one to ask for
suggestions on creative ideas for llvm.org ;-)

On the other hand, there have been some really interesting suggestions
coming in (VCS for experimental branches, a diagnostics wiki for clang,
user-friendly distribution of clang and more) so I'll be handing off to
another LLVM developer in the community who knows better how to set that
up whether it's on llvm.org, clang.org or some combination.

Incidentally, is there a less contentious 'official' place LLVM
contributors can upload patches/builds like an FTP?

Alp.

--
http://www.nuanti.com
the browser experts