[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Mon Nov 11 18:24:20 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 02:14:57PM -0600, dag at cray.com wrote:
> Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> writes:
>
> >     As far as I know no decision on specific versions has been made.
> >
> > To quote my summary email: "This will at least include Visual Studio
> > 2012 on Windows, and Clang 3.1 or GCC 4.7.x on Mac and Linux."
>
> 4.7.x is not a specific version.
>
> > The biggest debate has been around 2010 vs. 2012 (we decided 2012 was
> > viable and desirable), and on which value of 'x' to use in GCC 4.7.x.
> > My suggestion would be "whatever version of 'x' is on your distro",
> > and if other distributions come with other versions, we'll test them
> > and try to make them work. 4.7.0 was fairly broken, but 4.7.1 seems to
> > have been quite stable and to have gotten into essentially all of the
> > recent releases I've checked. I've not heard any objections to these
> > versions with specific problems they present.
>
> I don't care about specific versions, just that we have one.

I think that if we are committed to supporting gcc 4.7.x in LLVM, then
we need to be prepared to not use c++11 features that may be broken in
earlier 4.7.x releases.

This means that whatever 4.7.x users choose should be 'safe' as long
as they are committed to testing it on their platform and reporting
bugs upstream.

-Tom