[cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Mon Nov 11 11:11:33 PST 2013

Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> writes:

>     What is so hard about waiting an extra month to give people a
>     chance to test the new toolchain?
>
> You could start now with compiling under C++11 mode. The autoconf and
> (I think) cmake ability is there now. That should get you your extra
> month - especially if you count when we started this discussion.

This is very frustrating.  I'm not sure why my message is being lost.
We need to know the specific version of gcc to test (in our case, others
are concerned about other toolchains).

In all likelihood everything's going to work perfectly.  But in the past
we have run into buggy compilers, nonconforming code in our sources,
etc. and it's a ton of work to track down the problem and fix it.
That's why the window is important.

We can't start testing until we know what to test.

                              -David