[cfe-dev] What are the plans for creating a Windows Binary Release of Clang?

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Mon Nov 11 10:16:19 PST 2013

On 11/12/13 12:59 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Devin Crumb <bitogre at gmail.com
> <mailto:bitogre at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     But I think there should still be an effort to get Clang to have a
>     binary release that can be used independently and does not require
>     MSVC or Mingw.
>

> This is (at the moment) an explicit non-goal of the folks working on
> this as part of the open-source project. Myself and several others
> would argue strongly against pursuing it. We're not going to (both
> because we don't want to and because we couldn't succeed even if we
> did) replace Visual Studio or provide an alternative to it. Our
> primary goal is to complement and integrate with it as best we can.
/*
I love the terms "we" and "our" - Kindly don't speak others - While such
lofty goals may be ridiculous or not interesting to *you*.
*/

*My* view is that both a Mingw* and MSVC toolchain alternative is
absolutely necessary. This is not to say either of those tools are
lacking in any way, but a little easy to use competition is a good thing.

While I can't contribute much to Windows port myself - I'm willing to
help sponsor some work to achieve this goal or hardware if/where
necessary. Anyone interested feel free to contact me off list.