[cfe-dev] What are the plans for creating a Windows Binary Release of Clang?

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Mon Nov 11 10:09:30 PST 2013

On 11/11/2013 17:57, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com
> <mailto:alp at nuanti.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Devin,
>
>     We're producing a Windows version of clang at http://clang.org
>

> I think it's really unfortunate that you're running your own website
> and rolling your own builds. =/ So others on the list know, this is
> not in any way part of the LLVM open source project, it is not being
> maintained by the community at large but by some individuals (Alp at
> least). Putting it at 'clang.org <http://clang.org>' is a best misleading.

And llvm-reviews.chandlerc.com is maintained by the community, *ahem*?

But yes, let's add some links from the documentation on llvm.org if you
think it'll clear things up. It's just there's not much there :-)

>     The main difference from the installer on LLVM.org is that this one is
>     dedicated to the clang frontend and aims to test and stabilise the
>     latest patches, and is code signed for use in a corporate
>     environment etc.
>

> And that it isn't being produced or maintained by the LLVM open source
> project. =[ I think the authors should make that much more clear, and
> I hope that instead of running their own website they instead help
> contribute to the open source build, test, and release process.

All these patches are on the bug tracker, mailing list or already
committed. There are a few issues that are showing up as regular dupes
on the bug tracker and need work including PR17403 and these builds help
test whether features are good to land for 3.4.

Since yesterday the builds are also helping answer questions like
whether Visual Studio 2013 produces builds compatible with Windows XP
(answer is No right now -- we need to find the right flags and see how
much C++11 we can get out of it).

> (Note, I know that Alp at least has contributed a few patches, but
> certainly hasn't been responsible for the overwhelming majority of the
> work to bring Clang to Windows.)

Nobody ever claimed that -- it's absolutely a group effort. My work
since 2010 on the LLVM project has generally been in the C++ frontend
targeting Unix so this is new to me as well. You could have looked that
up easily.

That said we did go to some expense to start setting up this builder and
I'm not too interested in unconstructive responses at this point.

Alp.

--
http://www.nuanti.com
the browser experts