[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Wed Nov 6 10:15:48 PST 2013

Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> writes:

>>> If the new feature requires out-of-tree LLVM users to upgrade their
>>> toolchains then we may only be giving them a month or less warning,
>>> even if we are giving downstream packagers 6 months.
>>
>> Correct.  That's not enough warning.
>
> If we decide to delay this yet again (it's been on the cards since
> January, so I'm personally opposed, but still...) we should at least
> start counting the "acceptable notice" from the start of this thread
> rather than when the dust settles.

No.  We need to know which version of the tools to test.  As far as I
know, a specific version (point release) hasn't been chosen yet.

A toolchain upgrade is a *major* issue for large software projects.  I'm
all for C++-11.  It's long past due that we use it in LLVM.  However,
prudence dictates that we allow enough time for testing before swapping
toolchains out from under people.

                            -David