[cfe-dev] Help with ubuntu 12.10 packages?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Nov 5 12:53:41 PST 2013

Hi Group,

I'm trying to follow the instructions on <http://llvm.org/apt/> with
ubuntu 12.10 and I keep running afoul of apt-get claiming that I don't
have the right version of package "libclang1":

$ sudo apt-get -f install llvm-3.4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 llvm-3.4 : Depends: libclang1 (>= 1:3.4~svn193991-1~exp1) but it is not going to be installed
            Recommends: llvm-3.4-dev but it is not going to be installed

However, I have already installed libclang1-3.4 without error:

$ sudo apt-get -f install libclang1-3.4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libclang1-3.4 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 132 not upgraded.

I created the appropriate llvm.list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/llvm.list
deb http://llvm.org/apt/quantal/ llvm-toolchain-quantal main
deb-src http://llvm.org/apt/quantal/ llvm-toolchain-quantal main

and I have successfully installed some of the packages listed on the
command-line at <http://llvm.org/apt/>, but some of them are failing.
The ones that fail all seem to be dependent on a package named
'libclang1' instead of 'libclang1-3.4'.

What's the best way out of this apt-get maze?

Thanks for your time.