[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Deprecating autoconf/make?

James Gregurich bayoubengal at mac.com
Wed May 22 23:46:15 PDT 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 10:16 PM, Charles Davis <cdavis5x at gmail.com> wrote:

> , I'm well aware that there's quite a few Windows users on this list. Many of them don't have a shell that can run configure installed. For them, ditching autoconf in favor of CMake is a no-brainer. Why put so much effort into maintaining a build system a sizable proportion of our users can't even use?

Just a bit of info in case this isn't widely known and may be useful…

One can drive the MS compiler (cl.exe) and linker (link.exe) from Cygwin if he starts the cygwin shell from a Visual Studio command prompt which sets up the required environment variables. So, it is certainly feasible to use automate/autoconf on Windows if one chooses. The only irritation I ran into doing that was with path names. If memory serves me correctly, I had trouble passing absolute path names to things like the header search path switch. I had to use relative paths.

-James