[cfe-dev] Need Feedback on this very preliminary code that implements a portion of generic lambdas.

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Mon May 13 23:35:57 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Faisal Vali <faisalv at gmail.com> wrote:

> First off, this patch is far from ready for committing - it does not
> include
> enough tests - includes commented out code - and even some dead
> code. I shall try to address all those issues in the future - but for now
> I just wanted to put this out there for some early feedback (before I go
>  any deeper down a rabbit hole I need not have crawled into)

Just a couple of thoughts below, I've not had time to study the patch
itself yet.

> The patch implements the following (an incomplete list):
>   - converting auto parameters to template parameters and creating a
>     function call operator template
>     - It does this by replacing the typesourceinfo of the parameter -
>       Should I avoid doing this? Is there a way to transform the auto
>       into a template type parameter, so that it subsequently behaves
>       as a template type parameter, but remembers that it was
>       once an auto (for error messages only, right?)

Perhaps an AutoType whose deduced type is the template parameter would
work? However, note this comment from SubstituteAutoTransform:

      // If we're building the type pattern to deduce against, don't wrap
the
      // substituted type in an AutoType. Certain template deduction rules
      // apply only when a template type parameter appears directly (and
not if
      // the parameter is found through desugaring). For instance:
      //   auto &&lref = lvalue;
      // must transform into "rvalue reference to T" not "rvalue reference
      // auto type deduced as T" in order for [temp.deduct.call]p3 to apply.

If we wanted that to work, we'd need to teach some parts of template
deduction to walk over the AutoType node.

How significant is the diagnostic impact of performing the substitution?
Where, and how often, does it show up?

>   - it makes TransformLambdaExpr and InstantiateFunctionDefinition
>     generic lambda aware (to allow for transformation of nested lambdas)
>     so that the
>   - Regarding capturing for generic lambdas:
>     1) A generic lambda (nested or not) will only have its captures
>        computed/finalized when its enclosing context is non-dependent
>        (and if an empty capture list, then no captures).
>     2) When a generic lambda is invoked (i.e a specialization is
> instantiated)
>        any variable from an outer scope that is odr-used, but not already
>        captured by the lambda expression, results in an arror.
>     3) If an outer lambda that is enclosed in a non-dependent context,
>        can't tell whether an inner lambda (with an implicit capture)
>        or a tree of inner lambdas (all with implicit captures)
>        might need to capture the variable for some
>        instantiation of that inner lambda, the outer lambda will
>        capture that variable (if it has a capture default).
>          - this is implemented by hooking into ActOnCallExpr
>            (is it enough to assume that the only cases where an inner
>              lambda might potentially need to capture a variable is
>              if it is used in a dependent function call (ctor, operator)
>              of the inner lambda, in a non-unevaluated context?)

Per the proposal, you need captures in other situations:

struct S {
  constexpr S() {}
  S(const S&) { puts("captured"); }
};
void f() {
  constexpr S s {};
  [=] (auto x) {
    // captures 's' (even though no instantiation can need it),
    // because the full-expression depends on 'x'. Therefore
    // we must print "captured".
    (void)x, s;
  };
}

         - Within ActOnCallExpr, I dig into each argument, and as
>            long as they are not in an unevaluated context (currently
>            I only check for sizeof), and are from a scope outside
>            the outer lambda, I capture the variable within the outer
>            lambda (if both the inner and outer lambda have a cap default,
>            and the outer lambda is enclosed by a non-dependent context).
>          - The reason I do this in ActOnCallExpr is because until then
>            I do not know if the function call is still dependent, perhaps
>            there is a better place to do this?

Here's how I was imagining this working when we were in CWG:

The captures for a lambda are not finalized until the outermost context of
the reaching scope is non-dependent. At that point, for each call to
ActOnFinishFullExpr within the lambda, we check whether the full-expression
is instantiation-dependent. If it is, we scan it for entities which it
might need to capture, and capture all of them. There may be ways of
optimizing this (maybe keep a list of the potentially-captured variables
for each full-expression as we build it).
*
*