[cfe-dev] Clang and MSVC11 headers

Leszek Świrski leszek at swirski.co.uk
Wed May 1 10:44:14 PDT 2013

To what extent does clang try to make itself compatible with MSVC headers,
for
use of clang on Windows? I've recently been trying to use clang on Windows
along with the MSVC11 headers, and clang fails to compile the macro magic
that
is used to emulate variadic templates. Upon further investigation, this is
because the macros themselves are incorrect, but work in MSVC due to a bug
in
the preprocessor. I've submitted a bug report [1], but this is apparently a
known issue, and I'm not optimistic about it ever getting fixed.

What does this mean for us few clang-on-windows users? Are the MSVC11
headers a
lost cause, or could clang implement some sort of MSVC preprocessor
compatibility mode?

[1] https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/785846

- Leszek