[cfe-dev] TypeAliasDecl SourceRange is not giving proper range

Abir Basak abirbasak at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 05:30:56 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 1:46 AM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 5:29 AM, Abir Basak <abirbasak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am new to clang ast, and trying to parse some c++ code with it.
>>
>> When I am using TypedefDecl->getSourceRange() for say
>> typedef long double LDBL it returns the whole thing
>> However when I am using TypeAliasDecl->getSourceRange() for say
>> using LDBL = long double
>> it only returns the range using LDBL = long. (i.e removes the double part)
>>
>> I used the code below to extract text from SourceRange
>> char const* first = sm.getCharacterData(r.getBegin());
>>  char const* last =
>> sm.getCharacterData(pp.getLocForEndOfToken(r.getEnd()));
>>  return std::string(first,last);
>>

> The problem here is that BuiltinTypeLoc doesn't store the source locations
> for every keyword in the type, just for (apparently) the first one.
> Consequently, BuiltinTypeLoc::getLocalSourceRange() always returns a
> one-keyword range, and TypeAliasDecl::getSourceRange() picks the end of
> that range as the end of the declaration.
>

>> Am I doing something wrong? How can I get the whole source range, and esp
>> the type part of it i.e. long double part, so that I can rearrange it as
>> typedef long double LDBL
>> I am using clang 3.2 with RAV
>>

> We should fix BuiltinTypeLoc to track the end location in the
> needsExtraLocalData() case. If you want a workaround for this, you could
> re-lex tokens from the end location until you hit a semicolon (this is
> imperfect in the presence of macros, but your code isn't robust against
> macro expansions within the alias declaration anyway, so this may be enough
> for your purposes) -- or even just scan through the character data until
> you hit a semicolon if you're not concerned about comments at the end of
> the declaration.

Thanks for the explanation.
I fixed it by traversing until a semicolon,and getting the full type as
text. I guess I can fix it using needsExtraLocalData, like the
ASTWriter.cpp does.
 I have a second problem. Given a TypeLoc, how can I find whether it is in
base class specifier list?
 e.g.
   struct x{};
   struct y: x{};
   void foo()
{
   x a;
}
I can do so by traversing RecordDecl, but I like to do it in reverse way,
as I want to rewrite that case differently from all other cases.

Thanks.