[cfe-dev] llvmlab (phased buildmaster) is in production mode!

Michael Gottesman mgottesman at apple.com
Wed Mar 27 22:09:59 PDT 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 6:41 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman at apple.com> wrote:
> 3. Later phases do broader, longer lasting testing than earlier phases. Thus the 4 phases we currently have are:
>
> 	a. Phase 1 (sanity):          Phase 1 is a quick non-bootstrapped, non-lto compiler build, to check the ``basic sanity'' of the code base and build process. This generally takes 15-20 minutes to complete.
>
> While most of this sounds great, this one really doesn't.
>
> The sanity tests should be able to run *much* faster than 15-20 minutes.

Agreed. I think getting the sanity time down further is possible and very important. IIRC gribozavr has a ninja cmake bot that does clean builds in < 10 minutes. I think that that is a first step (bringing me to your question).

> Can we prioritize getting an incremental rebuild bot as the sanity phase on reasonably fast hardware?

Incremental builds are quicker but less robust than clean builds. The nice thing about always doing clean builds is that it simplify things by throwing out the potential of any build failures due to a dirty build directory (but maybe I am paranoid). If we want to do incremental builds (which note I am not averse to btw), we should at least set up some manner to clean the build directory if we get a build failure due to a dirty build directory that does not involve sshing into the machine. Perhaps if a builder fails a number of times in a row, clean it?

Also, hardware contributions are always welcome = p.

Michael