[cfe-dev] Debug information for unconditional branches

Tim Besard tim.besard at elis.ugent.be
Wed Mar 27 01:29:01 PDT 2013

Hi Eric,

> I'm curious what you're trying to do with using line number information
> to identify loop latches. Can you provide a bit of background on what
> you're trying to do? It might make it easier to identify things that
> will help.
Well, the way I'm running into this is somewhat convoluted, so bear with
me. We're using Clang and LLVM to compile code with loops to be run on a
CGRA processor. We're marking these loops using OpenMP-style #pragmas,
and since our LLVM back-end is responsible for generating CGRA-code we
attach that pragma to the loop latch and try to make sure it survives
all of opt.

In order to test whether our pragmas properly reach the back-end, we
wrote a loop-pass identifying all loops in a program and printing out
whether they are annotated or not. This way we can first list all
(regular and annotated) loops in an unoptimized program, then optimize
the hell out of it and finally check whether all marked loops reached
the back-end. Using this we can easily generate test-cases in which an
optimization (or specific combinations thereof) killed our pragma.

In order to identify loops, I look at the debug metadata of the latch. I
picked this information because ensuring its availability is quite
similar to what we have to do anyway: making sure the cgra pragma (which
is represented by metadata as well) keeps attached to the loop latch.

However, although all this is very specific to our situation, I believe
that the result of this work (making sure loop latches retain their
metadata) can be of interest to other people.

For example, in the issue I raised in my mails yesterday, a loop latch
gets split by -simplifycfg only to be deduplicated again by
-loop-simpify, losing all metadata in the process. Currently I've fixed
this by 0) making sure Clang emits debug metadata for unconditional
branches, 1) patching -simplifycfg so it copies the latch metadata to
the new latches when removing a block, and 2) adding a check to
-loop-simplify so it copies over individual latch metadata (if
identical) to the newly created latch.
But this is not perfect either: when moving the metadata from a latch
being removed to the new latches, the metadata of those latches gets
removed itself (but since those latches are now actually responsible for
jumping to the loop header, debug information pointing to the end of the
loop seemed more correct to me).

If it would help I could attach the patch and/or explain it by means of
an example. However, since there might be a better way to tackle this, I
first wanted to get some feedback in before putting code on the list.

Thanks,
--
Tim Besard
Computer Systems Lab