[cfe-dev] Clang-based indexer and code navigator

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 Pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 14:17:32 PDT 2013

On 3/11/2013 9:34 PM, Sean Silva wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Ryan Prichard <ryan.prichard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been working on a source code navigation tool for C and C++ that uses
>> Clang to index code.  I thought people on this list might be interested in
>> it.
> Indeed!
>
> In r176848 I added a link to SourceWeb to
> <http://clang.llvm.org/docs/ExternalClangExamples.html>.
>
> We seem to have a proliferation of Clang-based source navigators (DXR,
> woboq, and now SourceWeb). It would be really great if you could get
> in contact with the authors of these other tools (I see Oliver Goffart
> is already in this thread) and discuss what kinds of issues you ran
> into when developing the respective tools (you probably want to
> contact jcranmer for DXR); if there appear to be some common issues,
> it would make sense to get that information upstream so that we can
> fix/improve the situation. It would probably be sufficient to send a
> mail to cfe-dev CC'ing them.
I already watch cfe-dev and generally perk up anytime someone mentions
indexing, navigation, or documentation. :-)

> Also, if there is enough common ground between your objectives, it
> would be really cool if we could pool effort and develop a solution on
> trunk in clang-tools-extra: and then dogfood it! I've been wanting a
> better source navigator than Doxygen's source listings for a while
> now, and I think it would be appreciated.

I've been planning to see if I can get an up-to-date copy of clang/llvm
source code hosted at dxr.mozilla.org, but that is blocked on deployment
problems.

I've also been playing with doxygen-like documentation output, and was
planning on sending a feedback with all the issues I have that clang
could easily fix once I had a production-ready version of it.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer