[cfe-dev] Producing compilation databases (was Re: Clang-based indexer and code navigator)

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Tue Mar 12 11:33:04 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM, <bruce.r.stephens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sean Silva <silvas-olO2ZdjDehc3uPMLIKxrzw at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > We seem to have a proliferation of Clang-based source navigators (DXR,
> > woboq, and now SourceWeb). It would be really great if you could get
> > in contact with the authors of these other tools (I see Oliver Goffart
> > is already in this thread) and discuss what kinds of issues you ran
> > into when developing the respective tools (you probably want to
> > contact jcranmer for DXR); if there appear to be some common issues,
> > it would make sense to get that information upstream so that we can
> > fix/improve the situation. It would probably be sufficient to send a
> > mail to cfe-dev CC'ing them.
>
> Agreed. I'm not sure that there will in fact be much overlap, but if
> there is, it would be good to move it upstream. (I'm basing that on
> playing with DXR's plugin, which seems fairly lightweight, as these
> things go.)
>
> One possibility (which doesn't apply to DXR, which is a compiler plugin)
> is producing a compilation database. Using LD_PRELOAD and stuff feels
> yucky, and cmake is (to me) useless (the projects I care about mostly
> don't use cmake).

Can you use ninja, which has recently grown the capability to throw out a
compilation database?

Can clang dump the relevant information in the right form? Feels like it
> ought to be easy for it to do so, and that would surely be a clean way
> to do it, presuming a project can be made to build with clang/clang++?
> (Maybe it could be folded somehow with scan-build?)

Yes, it could be implemented in clang, but it's harder than doing it from a
build-aware tool, as you'll need some cross-process synchronization,
optimally in a OS-independent way...

Cheers,
/Manuel