[cfe-dev] [3.3 Release] Release Candidate 2 Available

Tim Northover t.p.northover at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 14:18:57 PDT 2013

> Enabling RTTI and Exceptions by default have the undesired side-effect that
> core development will, sometimes unintentionally, start using it and we'll
> create a necessity, when previously we had the option.

I'm not sure I see why our binaries have to use the default options.
In fact what I wrote was assuming we'd keep our defaults for
development but use something saner for binary packages.

> Leaving those options disabled by default have little to do with ease of
> use, but with design decisions that I don't think should change, just for
> the sake of usability.

But they're our design decisions that we really shouldn't be imposing
on everyone who wants to link against LLVM. If we want to tell
everyone to build their own LLVM then that's fine too, but an even
more efficient way to do that would be to only produce binaries for a
z80 or something.

> Our binaries are not used that much to warrant being user-friendly.

What are they used for, if it doesn't warrant being user friendly? As
you say, anyone serious will be building their own. That just leaves
people who want to do some quick checks as far as I can see; surely
they want everything to be as easy as possible. Or why do we bother
with the entire fiasco?

Tim.