[cfe-dev] [3.3 Release] Release Candidate 2 Available

Tim Northover t.p.northover at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 13:07:44 PDT 2013

> I disagree. The binary release should be as simple and light as LLVM
> developers intend the code to be, advanced users can always re-compile the
> way they want to suit their needs.

The default build options are optimized for us developers (if
anything) rather than anyone's actual use of LLVM. I tend to agree
with Pekka that the binary packages should be as flexible as possible
(in particular I strongly disagree that anyone's personal preference
for RTTI or its absence should affect what people can use them for).

Realistically, I don't see our binaries being used for much except
experimentation, which we should make as easy as possible. Any
critical project will be building their own (or should, regardless of
what we do with our packages!), and the distributions will carry on
making their own decisions.

As you say, advanced individual users will build from source for their
own requirements, which leaves dabblers who don't want to care about
the details.

Tim.