[cfe-dev] FW: RFC: YAML as an intermediate format for clang::tooling::Replacement data on disk

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jul 31 13:42:26 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> wrote:

> I think the sequential part of that step should be in the core code, but
> the parallelization will be in a (small) tool. This is also where
> special-case logic for custom networked file systems or strange version
> control systems would fall in.

I really disagree. I don't know why we wouldn't aim to eventually have the
core clang logic know all the necessary tricks to scalaing all aspects of
this up. It shouldn't be sequestered like this.

Consider, if you have the ability to do any amount of parallelism in the
tool, you'd often like to pipeline the analysis and the updating of files,
all while maintaining de-dup coherency etc. This would essentially require
the same code to be managing both the running of the tool and the writing
of the updates. In the case where you *don't* serialize the edits through
some other layer, I think you still will want this, and thus it belongs in
common shared library code.

Naturally parallelism within a process of this kind (or any kind) of this
kind is a long way off. I just don't want to not be thinking about it in
terms of what the end goal looks like.